Hi Prepperinas! I recently discovered a really cute, really easy DIY to make books so much cuter! The original DIY instructions are on Two Twenty One but here’s my take!
Hardcover book, Sketchbook, or Journal
Fabric (Enough to leave a 1-1 1/2″ border around your book)
Hot Glue Gun
Fabric Marking or Washable Marker (Optional)
1) Lay your fabric down on a flat surface and set the book on top of it, open. Using your fabric marking or washable marker, trace a 1-1 1/2″ margin around the entire book. If you’re not using a marker, just eyeball it. I like things really exact so I measured out exactly 1″ around and it took probably more time than it should have.
2) Cut out your outline. Make slits where the spine is.
3) Lay newspaper down and spray the front cover with your spray adhesive. I’m using the E6000 Spray Adhesive. Lay the fabric over the front cover and press it down. Repeat this for the back cover. I would recommend doing this outside because spray adhesive stays sticky after it dries.
4) After the glue dries, fold the excess fabric in and hot glue it down. Fold the corner in and a dot of glue. Do this for both the front and back covers.
5) Now for the spine. Use your butter knife to poke in the strip of fabric. You can a a dot of glue to make sure it stays in if you want, but you may have to cut the strip shorter in order to have it go all the way in.
6) Cut cardstock to just over the edges of your fabric and glue down.
7) (Optional) Tie and glue bow to front cover!
These books make great gifts, especially with the holidays coming up, have fun making them!